in Corning have shaped the modern world, from
the first electric light bulbs for Thomas Edison and the
of optical fiber for tele-communications, to
the glass used in modern flat screen displays. And that
began with a voyage on New York State’s waterways.
1868, the Brooklyn Flint Glass Company relocated
to Corning, via the New York Waterways, and evolved
into the company
that is today known as Corning Incorporated.
In celebration of the 150th anniversary of this pivotal
will launch GlassBarge—a 30’ x 80’ canal barge
equipped with CMoG’s patented all-electric glassmaking
Brooklyn Bridge Park on May 17, 2018.
travel north on the Hudson, then westward along
the Erie Canal
before making its way to the Finger Lakes.
It will stop at ports in Yonkers, Poughkeepsie, Kingston,
Falls, Sylvan Beach, Baldwinsville, Fairport,
Lockport, Buffalo, Medina, Brockport, Pittsford,
and Watkins Glen. A ceremonial last leg of
the trip will take
place by land, concluding in Corning with a
community-wide celebration on September 22.
addition to sharing the story of glassmaking in Corning,
the GlassBarge tour emphasizes the continued role of New
York’s waterways in shaping the state’s industry, culture,
and community. GlassBarge is the 2018 signature event for
the statewide celebration of the Erie Canal Bicentennial.
GlassBarge journey will also be celebrated back in Corning
with a re-installation of the Crystal City Gallery,
which shares the story of how Corning became
one of the premier centers for glass cutting in the United
For more information email:
||The schooner Lois McClure is a full-scale replica of an 1862-class sailing canal
boat, constructed in Burlington, Vermont. The schooner is
named in honor of Lois McClure, who, along with her husband
Mac, has been a major contributor to this and many other
worthy community projects in the greater Burlington, VT area.
In 1823, the Northern Canal connecting
Lake Champlain to the Hudson River was completed. The lake,
which since the end of the American Revolution had been
an expanding commercial highway, now virtually exploded
in trade. Along with the traditionally designed sloops,
schooners and the recently invented steamboats the lake
now witnessed the birth of a watercraft new to North America;
the sailing-canal boat.
The Lake Champlain sailing-canal
boat was built as an "experiment" and designed to be able to sail from distant lake ports to the canal on the
power of the wind. Upon reaching the canal, the masts were
lowered and centerboard raised and the now transformed
vessel could directly enter the canal. The first editions
of the craft, dubbed the "1823" class, were characterized by the randomness of their design. By 1841 the design
had been standardized and the "1841" class were just under 80 feet in length and roughly 13 feet in beam, so that
they could fit the locks and canal prism of that period.
By 1862, the expansion of the canal allowed for an expansion
of design and the "1862" class was developed. This new vessel was roughly 88 feet in length and 14 feet
in beam, with a slightly deeper depth of hold.
Two shipwrecks in particular were
studied for the creation of our replica Lois McClure, both
located in Burlington Harbor, Vermont. For the detailed
story on these wrecks, follow the links to the OJ Walker,
and General Butler. Now these shipwrecks are part of the
Lake Champlain Underwater Historic Preserve System, accessible
by any SCUBA diver.
For more information: call (802) 475-2022