Tidbits from the Brighton Pittsford
Post (ca 1930 's)
In 1791, William Hincher and his son came
to the Genesee country from Massachusetts with ox-team and sleds,
by way of Seneca lake and Catherinestown to Irondequoit. The following
he built the first log cabin on the west side of the river and
here he lived for many years with his family; wife Mehitable, son
William Jr. and seven daughters.
of these daughters, Sarah, (pictured right) married Stephen Lusk
(pictured left) who came to western New York with his parents, John
and Elizabeth, when only 12 years of age in 1788.
The Lusks are often thought of as the first settlers in Pittsford. John purchased
over 1,000 acres of land and built a stately home on the property.
Father and son cleared the land and Stephen also worked as a tanner.
The large farm was located at the crossroads of three
main arteries of travel and across from the
District #1 schoolhouse.
The farm remained in the family for nearly 200 years. They raised
cash crops originally but Stephen's
great grandson, Harry,
transitioned it to a dairy farm, raising cows and selling
milk. Although the farmland was sold to and
divided by a developer in 1992, the homestead house remains.