From the Democrat & Chronicle Newspaper dated December 1886:
Miss Lillie Hartman, daughter of Dr. Hartman, had been studying
under her father’s direction and had taken the Pharmacy exam in Rochester
and passed as creditably as any male in the class. Lillie Hartman was
the first woman ever to become a licensed pharmacist in New York State.
Bio of Lillian Hartman; nicknamed Dolly. Daughter of Doc Hartman, pharmacist
in the village, studied under him and wished to take the examination to
obtain a license to become a pharmacist. She petitioned the state two or
three times and was told each time that she could not take the exam because
she was a woman and no females were pharmacists! Lillie persisted petitioning
and finally was notified one afternoon that the examination would be held
the next morning and she would be allowed to take it. I have conflicting
reports as to where the test was given. I was told it was Geneva and Lillie
had to make arrangements to get there and to be ready for the exam by 9:00
AM. She made the appointed time and passed the exam with higher marks than
any of her male counterparts.
Lillie and her father ran the Drug Store in Pittsford village together
until his death and she then became the sole proprietor until the building
was purchased and changed into an A&P grocery store. Lillie lived in
a home, which has been razed, right across the street from her store. She
remained in the village and was often seen walking her dog. She was an
amateur photographer and thanks to her we have some very fine photographs
of her home.
Mary Elizabeth Hartman was born March 21, 1862 in Hall’s Corners.
She moved to Rochester and then to Pittsford where she died at her home
on June 18, 1943 at the age of 81. Her father was Dr. William A. Hartman.
Miss Hartman attended Penn Yan Academy. She was an intelligent woman and
did very well in school. She watched her father for many years and learned
from him how to run a pharmacy. This was how Lillie managed to be the first
woman to pass the NY State Board of Regents Examination in pharmaceutical
practice. She passed the exam the first time she took it on November 27,
When Miss Hartman was in her later years of schooling, she decided to
change her name from Mary Elizabeth to Lillian. She liked that name and
felt her given name was too long.
After her father died, Lillie and her mother Caroline ran the shop and
named it the C&L Hartman Drugs. The store kept this name until Caroline
died in 1917.
The pharmacy of the Hartman’s was like many others in the early
1900’s. Those pharmacies were not at all like the ones today which
resemble department stores. This early store consisted mainly of drugs,
and occasionally stationery, cards and rubber supplies.
The store was located at 33 South Main Street in Pittsford village and
was arranged with an aisle running down the middle. On the left side there
were the non-prescription drugs and a ways further down were the prescription
drugs, all neatly arranged in colorful apothecary jars. On the right side
of the store the shelves were filled with all the patent medicines. On
either side of the front door, were two apothecary jars filled with blue
or red liquid and lighted by a kerosene lamp placed at the rear of each.
There was a showcase filled with a few cards, stationery, and baby supplies.
Sometimes there would be a jar of peppermint sticks for the little children.
Besides all this, there would be the mild odors of camphor, anise and carbolic
acid. At the rear of the store there was a small room or "den" where
personal supplies were kept.
The citizens of Pittsford owe much to Lillian Hartman for her contributions
toward the development and improvement of the once small farming community.
She was an avid photographer and recorded much valuable information. She
helped compile the history of Pittsford on film. (We have few of her photos
left.) She was also a contributing reporter for the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
for the local news.
Miss Hartman was a member of the Pittsford Presbyterian Church. She joined
that church on June 14, 1882 but had been baptized as a child in the town
of Halls Corner. She was also a member of the Heart’s Ease Circle
of Kings Daughter. This group was known for their contributions to the
needy and the elderly.
In later years she lived in her home just north of the Christ Episcopal
church with a friend, named Ione Dye and her little dog, whom she walked
every day – summer and winter. Miss Dye remained with Lillie until
her death in 1943.
Pittsford is very proud of this upstanding woman.
Lillian Hartman (from Isabella Hart’s notes)
First licensed pharmacist in NY State. She used the Auburn Railroad to
travel to take the examination. Died after 1915. Had store formerly
owned by father at 31 South Main Street, Pittsford village. It was
a one story structure with a center entrance flanked by two large
windows in which were apothecary
jars of blue and red colored water. At night they were lit by kerosene
lamps and cast a lovely glow. Her home was across the street where
Christ Church northern expansion now exists. We have pictures.
From the Democrat & Chronicle Newspaper dated February 5, 1890:
Dr. W.A. Hartman died at his home in the village on Saturday February
3, 1890. Dr Hartman was born in Sandusky OH, in 1829. Early education
received at Delaware College, Yellow Springs, Ohio. He took a
course in medicine at the State University at Ann Arbor, MI and later
graduated from the Philadelphia Medical college. He began his practice
Springs and later removed to Halls Corner’s where he remained 12
years. While there, he married Miss Caroline Ripley of Geneva.
On account of ill health, he was obliged to give up active practice and
to Rochester, where he resided for 12 years, having a large office
practice. For the past 17 years, he had resided in Pittsford.
Dr Hartman was a man who won the highest respect from all who knew him.
He was of an unusually kindly disposition, and his friendly face will be
greatly missed. He exemplified the Christian virtues to a high degree and
lived a godly life. He was a member of the Pittsford Presbyterian for about
50 years. He is survived by his widow Caroline and daughter Lillian.
(No mention of his being a pharmacist at all!)
From Democrat & Chronicle October 23, 1893:
Mrs Jean Brooks Greenleaf and Miss Mary Anthony (sister of Susan
B.) came to Pittsford to address the women "voters".