The Spring House was erected in 1822 (although some later records
tell us it was 1829 or 1830) by Joseph Tousey of Pittsford . It took its
name from the then famed Monroe Mineral Springs, situated on present Oak
Hill Country Club course. The lovely edifice served as a hostel to accommodate
visitors and guests who came by stage or Erie canal packet boat to take
the water of the Spa, as was the fashion of the day and they remained to
enjoy the restful surroundings.
Tousey built his four-story brick mansion to last! Its timbers were hand
hewn and the pillars of solid white pine were turned by a Capt. Patchen.
Many fine native woods were used in the framing and the interior trim of
oak, hickory, pine, beech, and ash. The stairs leading to upper floors
are of mahogany, with curly maple newels and spindles of cherry.
A special feature of the old ballroom in the third story is the spring
floor. Many past patrons mistakenly trace the origin of the name "Spring
House" to this curiosity. It is understood that dancing was made more
enjoyable when the floor responded to the rhythms. Another interesting
phenomenon was the thunder room, which occupies the center of the top story.
It is a room without windows or skylights. Patrons who were frightened
of the fierce thunderstorms, which crashed around the exterior, occupied
this room. They remained in this room until the storm passed or their libations
made them feel less fearful! Nine original log-burning fireplaces enlivened
the various rooms of this hospitable establishment and fourteen outside
doors testify to its design for ease and gracious living.
A Mr. Norton followed Tousey as host of this resort, the only one near
the growing Rochesterville in those early days. The completion of the Erie
Canal made what once was a small "huddle of huts" into the country’s
first boom town and the community of Pittsford was happy to let Rochester
surpass it in size.
The Spring House was subsequently sold to A.C. Wheeler. Later the business
passed its proprietorship to Joseph Hall, who also bred trotting horses
and trained them on a half-mile track on what is now Allen’s Creek
Road. It is difficult to visualize that whole area without homes or buildings
or Oak Hill Country Club and just be fields, which would sustain horses
and a racetrack.
The front of the building, which we now consider the rear, faced a landing
from the old Erie Canal. Packet boats would unload passengers to enjoy
the waters and food and libations and then board a boat for the trip back
to wherever they came.
The building was carefully remodeled and restored in 1940 under the patient
and careful planning of owners, Anna Stubbs and Anne Colberg. The two women
set a superior table and restored the old house to its former charm and
richness as a setting to match their culinary art. The decorative scheme
was retained by use of wallpaper, curtains and hangings.
The building was once right on the line between Brighton and Pittsford.
During the early days of Prohibition, when Pittsford voted no license for "spirits",
Proprietor, Pat Hackett moved the bar to the extreme western end of the
building where it was located in Brighton and he could sell whiskey. Also
under Pat Hackett’s ownership there was a much publicized robbery
attempt in which Hackett was severely wounded. (One can read all about
it in a framed newspaper story at the bottom of the stairs leading to the
The O’Neill family took over the ownership in 1959 and retained
the reputation as an establishment that offered fine dining. The décor
was that of a southern mansion and the menu was varied with traditional
meals as well as favorites such as fresh fruit plates and Welsh rarebit.The
Spring House sold again to Buckingham Properties who passed the managing
and most recent renovation to Bruce Condemi in 2000. In early 2001, Buckingham
obtained permission from the Town to subdivide the property into a number
of retail shops. The construction began in winter of 2003 and absorbed
much of the former parking for the Spring House restaurant. Spring House
Commons has been built in what was the parking lot and a number of upscale
retail stores have become occupants.
The Spring House itself (in April 2005) is still vacant and the owners
are looking for the right person and use of this venerable old building.
Many dollars are needed to remodel for a new proprietor and the future
of the Spring House is unknown at this time. (04/07/05)