It has been brought to our attention that
a very visible house used bricks from Elihu Doud's brickyard that
was located on the west side of South Main Street at the Milepost.
This brick home is located opposite Pittsford Mendon High School
and was the home
of David Barker. The following article is presented by Paul F.
Knickerbocker who is the great, great, grandson.
David Barker was born in
1815 on a farm on Mendon Road, just south of Jordan Road. His
grandfather, Jared Barker, a revolutionary veteran who came to
Pittsford from Madison
County in 1801, settled the farm. David's father Lyman, and David's
brother, Charles, moved west to Mount Vernon, Ohio in 1830 and
their descendants still reside there.
David married Sarah Eckler
of Mendon in 1835 and together they had six sons whose names were Lyman,
William Henry, George, Benjamin, Numan, and Clair. For a few years
they resided in Victor but by 1845 they had come back to Pittsford
and bought the Stillman farm at 443 Mendon Road that was a half-mile
south of his birthplace.
David was a prosperous
farmer as were all of his sons who located in Pittsford. Lyman,
the oldest son, and his wife, Clarissa, a granddaughter of Caleb
Hopkins, had a farm at 3265 Clover Street. When Lyman died in 1874,
became part of the present Hopkins farm. William Henry, the second
son purchased the farm adjoining David's farm on the west side
at 219 Mendon Center Road, the present home of my sister, Mary
Numan lived on the farm
at 428 Mendon Road, directly east of the Homestead. Benjamin located
at 77 West Bloomfield Road and built the existing home there. George
first lived at 524 Mendon Center Road, but his wife, Susan Thornell
wanted a new house, so he purchased the farm at 429 Mendon Center Road
and in 1882, built the house that still remains at that site. All of
the Barkers lived and worked farms within two miles of each other.
A high point of David's
life was when, in 1876, he was able to travel to Philadelphia
to attend the Centennial there. Just three years later, David
died and left each
of his sons $2,000 or land of equivalent value. His youngest
son, Clair inherited the homestead, which included three large
barns. On one of
the foundations of a now demolished barn was inscribed 1827.
David, Susan, and two infant children, as well as Lyman are buried
Pioneer Cemetery, just a few feet from the Milepost School, which
they all attended.
Notes from Town Historian: (The house at
443 Mendon Road has been extensively changed. The original bricks
Doud, were sandblasted in 1974, which drastically changed the color
and texture. Some of the outbuildings and barns have been removed.
style is Federal with a later porch with turned columns. The two-tiered
porch on the south side is a much later addition.)