The initial construction of this building
is believed to be 1855. Our accounts show that in 1880 the home
was owned by Gabe Wood, who had a telegraph office in his home.
In 1881 this telegraph line was made part of the Western Union
and Gabe Wood was the telegrapher. Mr. Wood was totally blind,
but was considered one of the best telegraphers.
A story told by ancestors of a resident
, relates that on election nights, townspeople would gather on
the lawn of Gabe's home and Gabe would type out the reports on
sheets with the results of the state and national elections. His
office was on the second floor and it is said that as fast as he
could get the reports, he would type them, toss the sheets out
the window to the roof of the porch, his wife would sweep them
to the lawn for the townspeople below. The neighbor next door would
make quantities of pop corn and lemonade and the whole evening
took on an air of festivities.
This home subsequently became the home
of many and among them the Wiltsie family. Mr. Charles Wiltsie
was born in this home and later moved to Plymouth Avenue. As a
prominent gentleman, he became very involved with the Rochester
Public Library, being its President for the last fifteen years
of his life. His daughter, Mary Emily Field, purchased the home
in 1936 and had it renovated as a memorial to her father, and donated
it to the community as its library. The rear portion of the original
home was removed and an addition duplicated in detail the living
room of the Wiltsie home at 123 Plymouth Avenue. The mahogany paneling
and the furnishings were brought to Pittsford intact.
It remained the Community Library until
1974 when the Library needed more space and was moved to the former
Star Market on State Street. It then became the Village property
and used as its municipal building.